Ganapati Atharva Shirsham ( which is also known as Ganapati Upanishad ) is part of the Atharva Veda.
**It is said that anyone who has mastery over the Atharva Veda,by his very presence would protect his entire nation from all dangers and calamities**
This upanishad basically extols and describes Lord Ganesha as Para-Brahman ( Pure consciousness - God ) . It also speaks and explains on the famous bija - GAM that invokes Ganesha's energy.The mantra ' Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha' has its origin from this upanishad.
Ganapati Atharva Shirsham is commonly chanted in yagyas and rituals relating to Ganapati.It is the heart of Ganapati worship.
This hymn is also referred to as the 'Ganesha Vidya'.
Video above :Ganapati Atharva Shirsham learning tutorial.
Click here for the meaning
The second half of this upanishad talks on the merits and benefits of its recitation
- One who studies and chants this mantra becomes fit to realise Brahman ( God )
- He will not be affected by any difficulties and obstacles.
- He experiences happiness at all times.
- He is released from the five great sins.
- When one studies this hymn in the evening, the sins committed during the day are destroyed.
- When one studies this hymn in the morning,the sins committed at night are destroyed.
- When read anywhere,one becomes free of all obstacles.
- One attains all the four goals of life
: Righteousness ( Dharma ) , wealth ( Artha ) , Desire ( Kaama ) and liberation ( Moksha )
- One would achieve whatever is desired for by chanting this hymn a thousand times.
- One who bathes Lord Ganapati by his essence of the Atharva Veda becomes a renowned orator
- Whoever repeatedly chants this hymn on the fourth day from New or Full Moon becomes a great scholar.
- One who worships Lord Ganapati with blades of Durva grass
- One who offers parched grains ( rice / wheat flakes ) becomes a man of fame and intelligence.
- One who offers a thousand modakams for worship gets his cherished desires fulfilled
- One who offers ghee and firewood to the fire-sacrifice ( yagya ) attains everything
- One who enables eight good natured persons to absorb these teachings of the Atharva Veda becomes dazzling like the Sun.
- By undertaking the Japa on the banks of the sacred rivers during solar eclipse or by sitting in front of the idol of Lord Ganapati, one gets the siddhi of this mantra
- In particular,he becomes free from big obstacles,major defects and all sins.
-He who has this knowledge,becomes all knowing.
These benefits are mentioned in the Upanishad itself and it is not to be taken as an exaggeration.
For help in learning, contact +60163059916 via whatsapp
Over a cup of coffee talk ... :
I got introduced to Ganapati Atharva Shirsham by my professor. We were about to start a vedam group in the campus.The very learning experience was breath-taking and I get bliss-soaked even as I recall the experience today.
Upon learning,we chanted the upanishad several times in the nature-clad temple, post sunrise.
It was indeed a very pleasant and vibrant moment.The chant was so unique and engaging.That was also when I took a stern decision
to make this as an important lesson to be taught in the class.That was the impact given by this hymn on my first rendition.
My professor later explained that he adores this chant very much and that he used to teach it to school children in a rural village.
He narrated on how he made the children to chant this hymn compulsorily before going to school on a daily basis.Gradually,they started exhibiting excellence in their studies.By excellent,I really mean excellent - considering them to be rural children who are deprived from good educational resources.They started scoring the highest grades to top their
Video Above : Vedam Class Students chanting the Ganapati Upanishad
This upanishad also activates the muladhara chakra ( root
By activating the muladhara chakra , more than 50 percent of materialistic problems in your life will be instantly solved.This being the root chakra,can transform your life completely.
In a nutshell, any significance of Lord Ganesha's energy can be experienced by chanting this hymn.It is said that Lord Ganapati would manifest and sit beside anyone who chants this hymn with its glory.